Time at the Well
The purpose of the Time at the Well award is to support a professional performing arts practitioner, curator, technician, or producer at any stage of their career to develop their art practice. It will provide a performing arts practitioner with the time and resources to think, research, reflect and critically engage with their art. The Time at the Well award is open to performing artists of all disciplines, at all stages in their career, who have presented work in a professional context within the last 3 years.
As an equal opportunities’ employer, we encourage and welcome applications from people of all genders, nationalities, races, cultural backgrounds, ages, religions, languages, abilities, sexual orientations, and socio-economic statuses.
Who should apply:
- Professional performing artists currently living in Sligo or the Northwest region
- Performing artists at all stages in their career, who have presented work in a professional context within the last 3 years
- Performing artists of all disciplines who will champion and represent the diversity Sligo has to offer
- A group or individual who is passionate about performance and who is seeking financial assistance or a jumpstart on their creative journey
- Performance artists who are looking to showcase their work
What the artist will receive in support:
- Up to €5000 to support your art practice development within the year 2023.
- Support in-kind will be offered and will include – where relevant and possible – access to venue facilities, technical, management and communication support.
- Up to three days stage time.
- We will also offer two selected artists a one-week residency at the Tyrone Guthrie Centre.
What will we be required from the award recipient:
- The ability to collaborate with, and adapt to, a flexible timeline for your proposed activities.
- The completion of a report outlining your experience of the award and what you have achieved. This report will be using it to assess the impact of the award and may be shared with stakeholders.
- Participation in publicity of the 2023 Time at the Well award recipients.
Download application form here (PDF)
Submission of applications:
Please email an application form to email@example.com. Time at the Well Award 2023 should be written in the subject line of email.
If you have any access requirements or additional needs, please let us know and we will find a way to support and facilitate your application. You can contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone (071-9161518) or in person by calling to the theatre between 10 – 2pm Monday to Friday.
Deadline for receipt of applications – Friday 9th September at 4pm
Communication of results:
Award results will be communicated to all applicants by phone or email by 30th September.
At this stage, two artists will be awarded and their budgets confirmed. Up to 4 additional artists will also be shortlisted - their final funding offer will be made in early 2023 once the theatre’s 2023 funding is confirmed.
Previous Time at the Well artists
Time at the Well FAQs
Please note the answers to all queries that come into us will be added here so that everyone can have the benefit of all clarifications.
Do I have to have a performance project in mind that I want to produce or develop?
No, this is not a project award so there is no expectation for you to create or develop a piece of work using the award. This award is meant to offer artists support so that you can develop or further your practice in a direction of your choosing. While you are welcome to use the funding to develop a performance project idea, you are more than welcome to use the award however you wish to benefit your professional practice. For example, this could be by collaborating with other artists or by using the funding to engage a mentor to help you progress an area of interest, etc, etc.
I am a visual artist and I am not involved in the creation of work for performance. Can I apply?Time at the Well Application Form 2023
No, this award is specifically open to those involved in the performance arts only.
I am from the North West but now based in Dublin. Am I eligible to apply?
No, this award is specifically open to those based in the region currently.
I am starting my career as a performing artist. Am I eligible to apply?
Yes, we welcome applicants from professional artists at all stages of their careers as long as your application fits the criteria as specified in the Who should apply section above.
We are committed to becoming an accessible venue and strive to make our venue welcoming to all.