Playwritingwith Bob Kelly
This course is suitable for novice or budding playwrights whether you’re interested in full-length plays, musicals, short plays, or other forms.
Areas covered include:
· The creative process – finding and developing ideas - dreaming, drafting & redrafting.
· Story structure 101 – the fractal nature of story, logistic acts vs. dramatic acts, sequencing.
· Characters – what are they really? What are their wants, needs, and how do you measure them?
· Alternative (non-western) models of story structure and conflict.
· Tricks of the trade – beginnings, endings, spectacle.
· Practicalities – formatting, funding and collaboration.
· Case studies of work at various stages of development.
Course content will evolve to respond to the participants’ needs and interests. There will be small assignments between classes – a commitment of roughly 2 hours a week. Bob will also be available for one-to-one feedback sessions or discussions around any of the topics.
Limited capacity. Early booking is advised.
This workshop is delivered via zoom.